Protocol for recruitment of volunteers
Volunteers are welcomed at Ashgate Croft Special School and have varied roles to play including:
- Classroom support (including students working towards Teaching Assistant, Teacher, Nursing, and Social Worker qualifications).
- Work experience for pupils from other local schools.
- Former pupils of Ashgate Croft Special School.
- Governing Board.
- Residential trip support.
The availability of placements will depend upon availability of a suitable placement and length of placements will vary according to demand and the needs of the school. Any placement must be in the best interest of pupils and be conducive with efficient and effective running of the school. Placements will be agreed on an annual basis only, with volunteers asked to commit to agreed placement length, days and times, with this agreement reviewed at least annually. The school reserves the right to reject an application or cease placements without notice. The school cannot accept responsibility for assisting individuals in their own care or safety nor to the transporting any volunteer to or from the placement.
Each applicant (unless organised via a school or a university) will need to complete a volunteer application form, detailing the names and contact details of two referees. Suitable applicants will be invited to interview with the Deputy Head. Confirmation of a volunteer placement will be in writing.
Before gaining access to a volunteer placement, recruitment and safeguarding procedures will be carried out to access the suitability of all prospective volunteers. All volunteers will require a Derbyshire County Council Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Clearance check, unless in secondary education or studying with a higher educational establishment who have completed and provided confirmation of this to the school. Volunteers on short term placements (e.g. 1 or 2 terms) not supported by secondary education or a higher education establishment, will be required to pay for their own DBS check; approximately £44. Safeguarding checks will include:
- Identity check including one or two of the following original documents:
- Birth certificate (not a copy)
- Current valid passport
- Driving license
Identity check including two of the following original documents detailing name and home address (no older than 3 months):
- Home utility bill
- Bank or building society statement
- Mortgage state
- Tax statement
- Council Tax bill
- Benefits statement
- Right to work / Reside in UK check. All volunteers are required to provide a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' if they have lived or worked abroad from the age of 18 years (like a UK DBS check). Guidelines can be found on the Government website.
- Disclosure and Barring Service Clearance completed for any regular volunteer, in line with current regulations and procedures.
- Satisfactory completion of Disqualification by Association paperwork.
- Annually all volunteers will be asked to sign a Continuing Suitability Staff Declaration form.
Student placements will be arranged and monitored by the Headteacher with administrative support from the Head’s PA. A mentor must be identified for each student placement.
ANY CONCERNS REGARDING THE WELFARE AND/OR SAFETY OF PUPILS MUST BE REPORTED IMMEDIATELY TO CLAIRE JONES (Headteacher), JENNY DODDS (Deputy Head) or NEIL AMOS (Assistant Head)
ALL VOLUNTEERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR UNDERSTANDING AND ABIDING BY THE SCHOOLS SAFEGUARIDING POLICIES AND PROCEEDURES. VOLUNTEERS MUST ADHERE TO THE SCHOOLS CODE OF CONDUCT FOR STAFF AT ALL TIMES AND HAVE READ THE FOLLOWING:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education Statutory guidance for schools and colleges September 2016
- Working together to safeguard children A guide to inter-agency working to safeguard and promote the welfare of children March 2015
- The Prevent duty Departmental advice for schools and childcare providers June 2015
- Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy
- Guidance for safer working practice for those working with children and young people in education settings September 2015
The school website includes all updated policies and procedures.